Lerner Awarded LEED® CI Gold for their Corporate Headquarters at 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard
Rockville, Maryland, October 9, 2009 - Lerner Enterprises, Washington, D.C.'s largest private real estate developer, is proud to announce that it’s new corporate headquarters at 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard in Rockville, Maryland, recently achieved LEED® Gold under the Commercial Interiors rating system administered by the United States Green Building Council. Lerner’s award winning corporate office is on the seventh and eighth floors of the building.
Lerner's new corporate headquarters was designed by the Washington D.C. office of Gensler with green building consulting, technical support and verification by SD Keppler and Associates of Rockville, Maryland and built by HITT Contracting of Fairfax, Virginia.
The project features:
- 87% of construction waste was recycled
- Over 40% of materials contained recycled content including drywall, carpet and ceiling tiles.
- Over 50% of materials were manufactured within 500 miles
- Over 80% of all new wood installed on the project was FSC certified
- Installed systems furniture and seating are GreenGuard certified
- All adhesive, sealant, paints and carpets were low emitting (low VOC and CRI Green Label Plus) materials
- All installed composite wood contain no added urea formaldehyde
- Over 75% of occupied spaces are daylit
- Daylight dimming fixtures were installed in perimeter spaces to harvest natural daylighting and conserve energy
- Over 90% of all equipment and appliances are energy star rated
- Purchase of Green Power for 100% of electricity usage
- Low flow sinks, water closets, and urinals resulting in over 40% water use reduction
- Signage and tours are offered in the Lerner office space to educate employees and visitors of green features
2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard is a joint development of Lerner Enterprises and The Tower Companies of Rockville. The 200,000 square foot world class office tower was completed in 2008. In March 2009, 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard was officially certified as LEED® Platinum Core and Shell 2.0 – by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), making it the first multi-tenant commercial office property to achieve this designation in the Washington, Maryland and Virginia area. In addition, 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard was recently certified as the first LEED® Platinum office building in the State of Maryland.
2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard integrated green efficiencies include:
- A reduction in energy consumption by 30% and water consumption by 43%
- An HVAC system that is 30% more efficient than for typical offices
- A four-stage air filtration system that circulates 30% more outside air and turns over every 51 minutes while removing 85% of airborne pollutants
- CO2 monitoring that increases fresh air when demanded by occupancy loads
- “Night sky” protection from use of site down lighting and an elimination of light pollution along site boundaries
- Electromagnetic field (EMF) shielding
- 50% of the materials manufactured within a 500-mile radius reducing the need of additional fossil fuels to transport building materials
- 85% of the construction waste was recycled
- Over 17,000 drought resistant plantings of trees, ornamental grasses and bulbs that compliment the buildings’ landscape into a park-like setting, located along the I-270 Technology Corridor and reducing the demand for irrigation
- Furthermore, expected the occupied spaces have access to outside views, and the ability to harvest natural daylight
The exquisite office building features commissioned art and sculpture in public spaces, including a Dale Chihuly sculpture and a 30-foot illuminated onyx wall in the lobby, a 2,500 square foot fitness facility, including lockers, showers and Pilates exercise room, and an on-site café that sells organic and healthy fare.
2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard has office space from 5,000 -130,000 square feet that is available in the building. Jeffrey K. Diamond and Brian F. Tucker of Diamond Property Company of McLean, Virginia are providing leasing services for the project.
For additional information please visit: TowerOaks.com.
About Lerner Enterprises
Lerner Enterprises of Rockville, Maryland, founded by Theodore N. Lerner in 1952, is Washington, D.C.'s largest private real estate developer and is involved in all phases of office, retail, hotel and residential real estate. This includes planning, development, construction, leasing, and property management. Lerner has developed and currently manages more than 15 million square feet of office buildings, retail centers and residential communities. In addition to 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard, Lerner's office portfolio has several well-known developments including: The Corporate Office Park at Dulles Town Center (DullesTownCenter.com), Dulles, VA; The Corporate Office Centre at Tysons II (Tysons2.com), McLean, VA; Fallsgrove Village Office Center (FallsgroveVillageCtr.com), Rockville, MD; White Flint North, North Bethesda, MD; 20 M Street, SE (20MStreetSE.com), Washington Square (WashingtonSquareDC.com) at 1050 Connecticut Avenue, NW; 1133 Connecticut Avenue, NW in Washington, DC; Flint Hill Office Park, Fairfax, VA; 7799 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA; and 400 Army Navy Drive, Arlington, VA , among many others.
Recent awards include the 2009 National Association of Industrial and Office Parks (NAIOP) Best Green Building of the Year for 2000 Tower Oaks Boulevard (LEED® Platinum Certification), the 2009 Peerless Rockville Preservation Award and the Honor Award for Design Excellence in the Fairfax County 2009 Exceptional Design Awards Program for 1800 Tysons Boulevard in The Corporate Office Centre at Tysons II. NAIOP awards have also been awarded for Fallsgrove Village Office Center; 1650, 1750 and 1800 Tysons Boulevard; and 21000 Atlantic Boulevard in The Corporate Office Park at Dulles Town Center.